Saturday 29 May 2010

SCOTLAND - Camping Holiday, August 1959

I had been camping in Scotland before 1959 with my parents, and also my two brothers, but this was the first time I had been as far as the north coast (Durness) not far from Cape Wrath. My travelling companion was a very dear friend called Andy, who though younger than me, sadly died in about 1976.

Fifty years ago, motoring in Scotland especially in the north-west, was a real adventure. All single track roads, with grass growing up the middle even on main roads.

The series starts off with the chairlift in Glen Coe, followed by camping and walking in Glen Nevis. The pictures on Ben Nevis show quite alot of snow even on 24 August!

Then a shot of the then notorious road over the Beallach na ba and a picture of the Falls of Measach in the Corrieshalloch Gorge near Ullapool. The final shots are at Balnakeil (Durness) ~ me in the grey swimshorts and Andy in the dark ones!

Oh, and in case you wonder who took the pictures of Andy and me together ~  the camera, a Kodak Retinette 1B had a ten second delay on it!

The film used was 35mm Slide film  ~ ILFORD DAYLIGHT.

No comments: